Vandorn Hinnant; painter, sculptor, poet, and educational consultant resides in Durham NC, USA. He received a BA in Art Design from North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro NC, and studied sculpture at UNC-Greensboro. His works of art are in private collections in Africa, North America, and Europe, and in public collections across North America.
He leads hands-on experiential workshops on “The Geometry of Art and Life” for learners of all ages. He is co-author (with Robert L. Powell, Sr and Jr) of the book: “The Rest Of Euclid“; a definitive treatise on the long overlooked implications of proposition one in Volume One of “Euclid’s Elements“.
He has served as guest curator of exhibitions, as juror of many fine art competitions, and guest lectured at colleges and universities. He serves as an independent arts educational consultant working with both youth and adult learners. Currently the artist is developing sculpture maquettes (models) to be fabricated into permanent materials.
3514 Snow Hill Road,
Durham NC 27712
www.vandornhinnant.com and www.lightweavings.com
NC Governor Cooper’s Award for Contributions to the Arts in NC, 14 February 2019
CDI (Center for Design Innovation) Artist Residency, Winston-Salem NC, Summer of 2016
The Hambidge Center for the Arts and Sciences, Rabun Gap GA, Artist Residency; Apr, August, and December 2002
PROJECT ROW HOUSES (Round #10), April 1999 – October 1999, Artist Residency
Recipient of the 1993-1994 NC Arts Council Artist Fellowship Award
- More Recent Public Art Commissions:
Greensboro GreenWay Project, Greensboro NC, “A Monument to Dignity and Respect”, 2018/2019, Twin totemic sculptures paying homage to Freedom Fighters from the African Diaspora.
- Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville NC, “A Monument to Leadership” 2017, A totemic stainless steel column in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the founding of the school.
- City of Winston-Salem, NC, 2014 (twin totemic sculptures: “Together We Rise” commemorating the 100 year anniversary of the official merger of Salem NC with Winston NC.
Abbreviated Listing of Solo Exhibitions:
- “The HIDDEN MATHEMATICS: A surprising connection between Math and Art –Images by Vandorn Hinnant”, New York Hall of Science, Corona Park NY, June 4 –November 4, 2018
- “VANDORN HINNANT: Explorer of Form and the Beauty of Number”, Rosenthal Gallery, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville NC, 9 January – 27 February 2016
- “VANDORN HINNANT: Explorer of Form and the Beauty of Number”, North Carolina Central University Art Museum, Durham NC, 13 September – 16 October 2015 (*exhibition catalogue)
- “Vibrations, Frequency, and the Phenomenon of Relationship”, Diggs Gallery, Winston-Salem State University, Winston-Salem NC, 6 November 2014 – 31 March 2015
- “Vandorn Hinnant: Lighting Pathways Home”, African American Atelier, Greensboro NC, 13 October 2013 – 13 December 2013
- “Of Numbers and Other Mysteries”, Delta Fine Arts Center, Winston-Salem NC, 3 Aug – 26 Sept 2009
Abbreviated Listing of Selected Group Exhibitions:
- “Round & Round: The Circle at Center Stage”, Kalamazoo Institute of the Arts, Kalamazoo MI, November 4, 2017 – March 4, 2018
- “ART ON PAPER 2017: The 44th Exhibition”, Weatherspoon Art Museum, UNC-Greensboro, May 21 – September 3, 2017
- “THE GOLDEN SPIRAL: Fibonacci, Sacred Geometry, and Divine Proportion”, The Larson Gallery, Yakima Valley Community College, Yakima WA, 14 January – 20 February 2016
- “HARASZTHY 200 Festival: Red & White Exhibition”, Don Soker Contemporary Art, San Francisco CA, August 2012 and at B55 Gallery, Budapest, Hungary, September 2012
- “Rhythm of Structure:” The Bowery and Beyond”, Selby Gallery, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota FL, January – April 2010
- “Rhythm of Structure: Squares and Circles (John Hiigli/Vandorn Hinnant)”, Bowery Poetry Club NYC, Sept 11 – Oct 12, 2009
- “Rhythm of Structure: Atomic Cartesian MathArt Hive”, Bowery Poetry Club NYC, Nov 20 – Dec 22, 2009
Reviewed in (an abbreviated listing):
- Winston-Salem Journal, Winston-Salem NC, “Hinnant’s 25-year retrospective beautifully installed”, Feb 8, 2015
- Winston-Salem Journal, Winston-Salem NC, “Sculpture commemorating centennial unveiled: “Together We Stand in Corpening Plaza”, September 6, 2014
- W-S Journal, Winston-Salem NC, ‘Together We Rise’ Artist to create piece celebrating consolidation”, Dec 28, 2013
- Winston-Salem Journal, Winston-Salem NC, “THE ART OF MATHEMATICS”, September 13, 2009
- The International Review of African American Art, “Rhythm Of Structure: MathArt in the African Diaspora”, Volume 19/#3, 2004
An Abbreviated List of Works in Public Collections (*many more throughout the USA):
- Miller Brewing Company, Cincinnati OH
- Glaxo Inc., Raleigh NC
- Hammonds House Galleries, Atlanta GA
- Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta GA
- Atlanta Life Insurance Company, Atlanta GA
- Phizer Pharmaceuticals, New York NY
- Duke University Medical Center, Durham NC
- Lucent Technologies, Durham NC